Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Not So Tangled Web I Wove: A Halloween Wreath Alternative

Halloween isn't usually an event I decorate for.  Maybe it's because my mom never really did (She was a busy working mom, too.); maybe it's the Southern Baptist influence; maybe it's because my family is always really busy this time of year and what my kids are going to be for Halloween is the chore I focus on. (By focus, I mean "last minute scramble"... I'm no "Mom of the Year" in that department.)  It doesn't matter because this year, I'm excited to show you this:


I've been wanting to do this ever since I saw this one. The bonus part of this- it was easy and cost me around $5! The only reason I didn't do it all in one sitting was because I had to put three coats of purple paint on the $3.25 Goodwill frame that started like this:


The paint was leftover wall paint from a friend's project (Duron's Dignified), so that was another bonus.  It photographs more blue than it is.  It's a great Halloween purple in person... and in this photo.  Weird.  Compare the one at the top of the post to this one.   


Anyway, let's ramble about my lack of photography and lighting knowledge later.  How'd I make it?  I sat in the floor with my frame, $0.89 yarn from Goodwill, Gorilla tape, and my cute Michael's wooden sign with clip-on spider.  Less than 30 minutes later I had it finished!  I think it would've been faster if my family hadn't needed me for something at least twice during the process. 

First, tape double strands of the yarn to the back to make the base of the web.  I'm a fan of symmetry, but I purposely went a little off-kilter with this. Whoa, look how crazy off-kilter I went! Watch out!

Seriously, why is my floor two different colors here?!

Now for the web- I was worried this was going to be complicated, but it was actually really simple. Start with a long piece of yarn and double it.  Tie that in a simple slip knot. around one of the base pieces to get started.


All that was left was weaving the web!  I just wrapped it around each of the base pieces keeping the yarn tight as I went.

When I finished a section, I tied it off with another knot... I have no idea what the official name of this knot is.  I'm sure moms of boy scouts are in disbelief right now. Hang on... ahh, here we go:


At the end, I still wanted the web to have more, so I just faked it and used tape.  


Finally, I taped on the "Happy Halloween" sign and the spider and I ended up with a cute addition to the front door.


Maybe next year I'll go crazy and DIY a costume for my kids... Better yet, maybe they'll DIY their own!  Any good DIY Halloween costumes I should know about? 

I'm linked up with Alderberry Hill, Keeping it SimpleBe Colorful, Between Naps on the Porch, Home Stories A2Z, Nap Time Creations, You're Talking Too Much, and Today's Creative Blog!




  


5 comments:

  1. This is awesome!!!!Very cute!! It makes me want to go out and make me one!...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this turned out really cute. Reminds me of making dreamcatchers as a kid :o) Thank you for linking to Tasteful Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations. You are being featured at this weeks party! Hope you can stop by and check out the feature, grab a featured button...and link up again this week. I'm hoping for 200 links this week :o) The link goes live at 8:30 pm central time. http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2012/10/baked-chicken-pesto-sandwhiches-and.html

    ReplyDelete